Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Toasted Corn and Bean salad

I really wanted to make something with beans the last few days since my successful Black Bean burgers were eaten so fast. I decided to go with Pinto since I had bags of the things given to me. I soaked about 2 cups so I have enough left over to make something else tomorrow!

I also wanted a salad since I had two heads of lettuce calling to me to be eaten.

Looking around I found a lot of great recipes, and this one is adapted from The Taste Space. Enjoy!

It's a very yummy dish that can be adapted with any mix of spice that you want. I went for a more Southwestern flavor (corn...beans...seemed right to me). But play around with it and make it your own.



Toasted Corn and Bean Salad

1 cup dried pinto beans soaked overnight and rinsed (or 2 cups canned beans)
1 bay leaf or a tsp of dried bay leaf pieces
2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears of corn)
1 tbl garlic
1 tbl butter
1 c yellow onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme or cilantro
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
6-12 lettuce leaves
Optional: lime juice sprinkled on top just before serving

1. Place beans with enough water to cover by 1-2″ of water. Add bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer gently. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, about 40 minutes. Drain, and transfer to a bowl. Add cumin and chili; mix.

2. Heat a large, heavy non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, and add corn. Cook, stirring occasionally, until corn begins to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, until corn is browned and begins to pop, another 3 to 4 minutes. Add to beans in the bowl.

3. Return skillet to medium-high heat, and melt butter. Add onions and bell peppers, sauteeing them until onion turns slightly yellow and bell pepper is slightly tender but still firm. Add to bean and corn in the bowl. 

4. Return skillet to medium-high heat, and add one tsp of olive oil. Add tomatoes, in a single layer, and thyme. Cook, until soft and beginning to juice, 6 to 7 minutes.

5. Add tomatoes to the bean mixture in the bowl and toss together. Spoon warm or cold over lettuce, and serve.

I enjoyed eating this as a wrap. Altogether very filling and very good for you. I can see making this for a potluck or a luncheon as a great side dish.

Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment