Friday, October 7, 2011

The Black Bean Burger

I've been on a veggie kick recently and have been enjoying it very much :) It is so easy to create your favorite foods with lots of veggies to make you full and keep you healthy for another day.

New Family Favorite: Black Bean Burger

Though I'm calling it the black bean burger, don't be fooled. There are lots of veggies packed into this little guy.

Black Bean Burger- makes 6-7 burgers

Ingredients:
2 16oz cans of black beans
2 tbl of minced garlic
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 carrot, finely shredded
1/4 a bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped
1 tbl cumin
Few shakes of chili flakes
1 tsp salt
1 c bread crumbs
2 eggs

Toppings:
That's up to you, it's a burger! I used sprouts, tomato slices, cheese, and "fry sauce" in the picture above.

1. Drain beans and rinse, place in a bowl and mash until a nice paste.
2. Add all other ingredients to bean mix until thoroughly mixed and texture holds together.
3. Cover a cookie sheet with foil and oil/spray well to prevent sticking. Turn on oven to 350 degrees.
4. Form into patties and place on cookie sheet.
5. Cook 10 mins, flip and cook another 10 mins.
*You can also cook burgers on the stove top or grill. If you do, I suggest you coat patties in more bread crumbs after forming to help keep patties together and give them a nice brown skin.
6. Place patty on a burger bun, top with favorite healthy goodies.
7. ENJOY! I know I did. I will definitely make this again, everyone, even my 2yr old just gobbled these up :) and any kid friendly food is a good recipe to keep on hand.
I like this picture sideways...

No comments:

Post a Comment