Monday, October 10, 2011

Whole Roasted Tandoori Chicken

Last year I made tandoori chicken for the first time, not ever trying it before. I made it into tacos! Believe me, it won me over fast. It was easy, it was FLAVORFUL, and since that meal I had been interested in the playfulness that spices have on one another.

I have recently gotten into the habit of roasting a chicken every week. That's right, every week (or every other week)! It is a very easy and frugal practice to have if you enjoy chicken as much as I do.

I mean think about it; you get a great meal, chicken stock from the bones and you have pre-cooked shredded chicken on hand at all times for salads, quesadillas etc... I love it.

This week after a little spice shopping spree, I decided to go a little non-traditional and roast a whole chicken in a tandoori marinade. When I say non-traditional, I mean tandoori is usually served as cut up pieces of chicken and can be fiery hot and red to show it.

I'm a bit of a weakling when it comes to heat in my food, I like it spicy, but not painful! So this recipe is adjustable to your tastes. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Whole Roasted Tandoori Chicken

1 2-3lb whole roasting chicken, skin and visible fat removed (or 4 skinless chicken breasts)
1 Tbl Lemon Juice
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plain non-fat yogurt (NOT vanilla!)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
2 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch fresh ginger, minced
1/4 a bunch of minced fresh cilantro

Optional: cayenne or minced hot peppers to taste

Instructions:

1. Remove the skin and visible fat from your chicken. This is a bit time consuming (15mins?), but very easy to do at home. Cut several deep slashes into the fleshy parts of the chicken.

2. Rub the chicken all over with the lemon juice, making sure to rub into the slashes. Then rub with salt, again, getting it into the gashes. Let the chicken sit, while you prepare the marinade. Wash your hands with "hot as you can stand" water and soap after each time you touch your chicken to prevent the spreading of germs!


3. Get out a pot big enough to place the chicken in, line the pot with two pieces of foil. For the marinade, beat the yogurt with a fork until it's silky, then stir in all the dry, powdered spices. Stir in the minced ginger, minced garlic and cilantro. Slather the chicken with marinade, making sure to get plenty of the marinade in the slashes.
I did not add chili power to this mix
4. Move the marinaded chicken into the prepared pot, loosely wrapping foil over chicken. Secure a tight fitting lid on the pot and place in the refrigerator. The pot and lid are necessary tools to prevent the spreading of salmonella into your other foods in the fridge. Let chicken marinate overnight or 30 mins.
Go all the way, OVERNIGHT! I have been making a lot of chicken's recently and I have found that if you marinate overnight, the chicken always, without fail, comes out amazingly moist and delicious. Plus, I enjoy this recipe because you have dinner all ready to go, just pop in the oven and your done! I can see this a good small party food...? More time for your guests.


5. Two hours before dinner...Take out a roasting pan and set oven to 375F. Lift chicken out of pot and place into roasting pan (you can line the pan with fresh aluminum). Bake uncovered for 1-1/2 hour.
Just before placing in the oven I sprinkled the chili powder on the skin.



6. After a time, check chicken to see if cooked thoroughly. Remove from oven and wrap foil from pan around chicken (or create a foil tent from another piece), and let mean rest for 20 mins before carving. This is a good time to start your rice or veggies.

I don't carve well. I love you can see the gashes!
7. Serve with hot rice and veggies (even better vegetable Biryani) and naan or homemade dinner rolls.

The leftovers (if there are any) are wonderful as sandwiches or wraps, with a little bit of sauce drizzled on top.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for finally writing about > "Whole Roasted Tandoori Chicken" < Liked it!

    Here is my homepage :: Spotify Premium Code Generator

    ReplyDelete