Friday, October 21, 2011

Rootbeer Marinade

I really have been enjoying this "take anything you have in your house and see what you can come up with for dinner" plan. Tonight, I was planning on making fajitas.

Let me begin this post by saying, I LOVE fajitas! I can eat them everyday if I was allowed. They are nutritious, simple, quick, and above all delicious! Plus, they fit perfectly into my no processed foods plan this month.

Well, tonight (last minute) I decided my good ole' fajita recipe wasn't going to do. I needed to mix it up a bit. My solution came with my next question.

What else was I in the mood for? Root beer! I had one bottle left of the best (I repeat BEST) root beer in the world. Henry Weinhard makes more then just beer, his root beer is amazing. I had planned on drinking my last one with my fajitas, but....

I thought, what the heck. People make marinades out of beer, why not root beer? So I made the sacrifice and shared my rootbeer for an experimental marinate.

I remember making root beer in Biology class. It was really fun and I remember discussing how the yeast will carbonate and fermentate the mixture giving it that bubbly signature.

Knowing this, I knew my meat would be nice and tender letting all those bubbles go to work paired with sassafras and sugar (yum!).

This is what I came up with. We enjoyed our dinner, fajita style.



Root beer Marinade
Weinhard bottle caps amuse me
1 Twelve Ounce Bottle Of Henry Weinhard's Root Beer
1/4 cup Teriyaki or Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 inch, ginger root, minced
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes

2 lbs of skirt steak, boneless chicken or pork lion cut into 2 in strips


Fajita style serve with: 1/2 large yellow onion, 1 green and yellow or red bell pepper sliced and sauteed in a tsp of oil. Warm 6 in corn tortillas.



Instructions:
 
1. Get a gallon sized, plastic, zippable bag. Mix all the ingredients together. Add the meat and seal the bag. Mush it around a little and place bag in a medium sized bowl.
2. Let marinate 2 hours or overnight (I am a fan of overnight marinating)
mmm...foamy bubbles
3. Remove meat, grill, enjoy.
Obviously, I broke my no processed food rule with this marinade by including root beer. But you can always one up me, MAKE your own root beer!

Do it! And then leave me comments how that went, I'd love to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment