Thursday, July 22, 2010

Peachy Keen (Part 3) Ice Cream

Not long ago I bought an automatic ice cream maker with the grand idea that all the flavors of the world were my fingertips. What would I create? What did I want?

Everyone knows the kind of ice cream they like. But how to break that down into a recipe?

I wanted something rich and creamy with hints and subtle suggestions of flavors. I love Alton Brown and he went through the steps of how ice cream is made, the different kinds of ice cream bases from the cheap-y kind that you get for $2.00, to some of my favorite rich and creamy kinds that are $7.00 for a pint! Oh, but so worth it!

Looking at a variety of recipes, I wanted the kind that use eggs and cream to gain that smooth flavor.

This is recipe creates an AMAZING Peach flavor without being overwhelming. I made a gallon, and it went fast!

I'll just have to go pick more peaches and make more very soon :)
Peach Ice Cream- Makes One Gallon
  • 5 cups of peach puree, blend them with the skins on!
  • 3 whole peaches, skinned, chopped and set aside.
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 3 1/2 cups of white sugar
  • 4 cups heavy cream
  • 2 cups milk (more milk fat the better, I use whole)
  • 2 tsp vanilla (or 1 vanilla bean with the seeds scooped out)
  • 1/2 tsp of salt
  1. Mix together eggs and sugar until blended. Slowly add the puree until smooth.
  2. Add the cream, milk, vanilla and salt, blend well. I used my KitchenAid mixer for this recipe and the bowl was almost overflowing
  3. Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and follow your manufacturers instructions. Be careful not to overflow and leave room for expansion. You're making ice crystals people! Add the chopped peaches later following the instructions. This recipe was too big for my little 1 quart maker, and I ended up pouring 2 1/2 cups at a time, 4x!
  4. Remove ice cream from the machine to a freeze safe bowl, cover with lid.
One Quart (Many thanks to Mr. Beautiful for helping with the math)
  • 1 1/4 c of peach puree
  • 1 peach skinned, chopped and set aside
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 c of white sugar
  • 1 c of heavy cream
  • 1/2 c milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/8 tsp salt
There you have it! Enjoy this beautiful dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment