Tuesday, August 24, 2010

"The MVM" Most Valuable Meal

In our house we eat beef about once a week, not too much but we enjoy it. Mr. Beautiful on the other hand (if he cooked) would live on red meat every day for the rest of his life, and the dinner most requested?

Meatloaf.

Simple, easy to put together, and everyone has a "secret' that makes it just right. I don't know about secrets, but I am very serious about the ingredients that go into my Meatloaf. When learning to make meatloaf, I tried a lot of different recipes and in the end, I made my own meatloaf recipe which combined about 4 different good but not great recipes!

This dinner it is such a hit that (usually the men) my family, once they heard I made meatloaf, are always asking for the leftovers.

This wins the MVM in my book because it is an old stand by, a crowd pleaser, and makes easy leftovers (sandwiches! no additional cooking!) So enjoy, and I hope it's a family favorite in your home too.

Sarah's Meatloaf

2 slices of bread (any kind)
6 c of lean ground beef
2 eggs
1/2 c of chopped dried onion
1 tsp (each) ground sage, dried/fresh basil, oregano
2 tbl dried/fresh parsley
salt to taste
3/4 c milk

Sauce
1/2 c ketchup
4 tbl brown sugar
2 tsp mustard
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Grease a large cookie sheet with raised edges generously. Set aside.
  2. Put bread in a bowl and add enough water to soak, let stand for 5 mins then squeeze well to drain all the water out.
  3. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, leaving eggs last. Work together with hands to evenly distribute herbs and onion.
  4. Shape into 8 small loaves or like in my house a "meatloaf man" and place on cookie sheet.
  5. Bake 1 1/2 hours, drain off fat. Meanwhile combine ketchup, mustard and sugar for sauce, spread over meat after fat is drained.
  6. Return meatloaf to bake another 10 mins, drain off any remaining fat.
  7. Let stand 10 mins before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment