Saturday, August 14, 2010

Homemade Hostess Cupcakes

So the other day I was bumming around online, looking for ideas and relaxing when I came across the website Bakeat350.com. At first I didn't notice anything particularly unique, but then I saw these...






They are so cute! I love how it gives the illusion of a normal Hostess cupcake, but at second glance you see the "sweet" (haha-puns are funny) message carefully scripted out.

I HAD to make these. It was like a calling!

I already had everything in my house and made a batch right away. But...I wasn't satisfied with the recipe for the cupcake. It wasn't as moist and chocolaty as I would have liked so I changed a few things and made this my own. With inspiration from Bakeat350 I'm making these my own way. Check out her blog too! I have some great ideas for cookies from her, but that's for another blog.

Sarah's Homemade Hostess Cupcakes


Make the Cupcakes
  • 2 1/4 c Flour
  • 3/4 c Hershey's Cocoa
  • 1 Tbl Baking Soda
  • 1 Tsp salt
  • 2 c Sugar
  • 2 c water
  • 3/4 c Vegetable oil
  • 2 Tbl White Distilled Vinegar
  • 4 tsp vanilla extract
  1. Pre-heat Oven 325F. Line 24 cupcake cups. Set aside.
  2. In a Medium bowl, SIFT (no cutting corners ladies!) flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Mix in Sugar. Make a well in the middle and add remaining ingredients. Mix well until smooth.
  3. Take out a 1/4c measuring cup and spoon batter into each cup. Bake 15-20mins or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan for 5 mins, then finish cooling on wire rack. Meanwhile prepare the filling.
The Filling
  • 4 Tbl Unsalted butter at room temp
  • 1 c powered sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 5 Tbl heavy whipping cream
  • 1 Jar of Marshmallow Creme
  1. Whip butter until fluffy.
  2. Alternate 1/3 c sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 tbl of whipping cream at a time until all ingredients have been added.
  3. Whip in marshmallow creme until creamy. If filling is too stiff, add a tablespoon at a time of whipping cream to thin.
  4. Fill into a PIPING BAG with a medium star tip and set in fridge until cupcakes have cooled.
  5. To Fill: Place tip halfway into cupcake and squeeze until cupcake begins to bulge a little. Be careful not to overfill and make the cupcake crack. Fill the hole to even out the top of the cupcake. Don't worry about the hole, the frosting will cover it up nicely. Continue with the remaining 23 cupcakes.
The Frosting (Simple French genache)
  • 6 oz of Bittersweet Bakers chocolate, chopped
  • 1 c heavy whipping cream
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  1. Place chopped chocolate in a METAL bowl and set aside.
  2. Heat whipping cream in a small pan until just boiling, then pour over chocolate in bowl. Let set for 5 mins then stir until smooth.
  3. Mix in vanilla.
  4. Take cupcakes and one by one, dip them upside down into the frosting. Pick up and hold over bowl until drippings stop.
  5. Place on platter and continue with remaining cupcakes. Let rest 30 mins or until frosting has set, or place in fridge for 15 mins.
Icing
  • 1 egg white at room temperature
  • a pinch of cream of tarter
  • 1/2 c-1 c confectioners sugar
  1. Beat egg whites until frothy, then mix in cream of tarter.
  2. Gradually add in confectioners sugar until you reach a consistency that is stiff but still smooth.
  3. Fill a piping bag with a 1/16th round tip. Remove cupcakes from fridge and pipe a design (words, squiggles, Hostess cupcakes have 7 "loops") on top of each cupcake. Let the design harden before you cover.
Cupcakes can be refrigerated for 2 days, serve at room temperature. Or Keep frozen for 2 weeks!


I took the cupcakes below to a Blessings Unlimited party, and everyone loved them. The women said they were rich and "oh so cool looking."
My favorite compliment was "I'll take another Blessing, thank you." :)
These were kind of time consuming to make, but Oh so worth it! And I don't mind complicated recipes (I mean you're making four different things here) if the outcome is as beautiful as it tastes.
So be a good Hostess and make your own Hostess cupcakes!
Ok, I'm done with the puns. I promise!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! I've been reading your blog for a long time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and
    give you a shout out from Houston Texas! Just wanted to say keep up
    the excellent work!

    Also visit my webpage ... dental braces [euflix.com]

    ReplyDelete