Saturday, August 7, 2010

I want S'more Cookies!

My mom asked me to make a dessert for her co-workers BBQ tomorrow.

Me: "What should I make?"

Mom: "Make chocolate chip cookies or something."

Well, if you know me, I can't bake something just simply. I need to step it up just a bit to make it interesting (but still simple!) So I looked around at what I had on hand and what did I find?

My husbands stash of marshmallows, *ding!*

S'more Cookies!


Super easy and gooey (and impressive enough to be served to my mom's co-workers). I have a good feeling about these cookies since just posted a picture of my creation on Facebook and within an hour I had comments from tons of cookie monsters!
For the chocolate chip cookies, I never stray from the Nestle recipe on the bag. I have tried about 10-20 different recipes of people trying to improve on this classic cookie. And, for some reason this recipe is just easy, never fails, and always tastes amazing.

For this recipe you'll need:
  • chocolate chip cookies (see recipe below)
  • large (or jumbo) marshmallows (1-2 per cookie)
  • scissors
  • 8 oz chocolate chips
  • 2 tbl shortening
Nestle Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies (straight off the bag)
  • 1 c unsalted butter
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 3/4 c brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 1/4 c flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 c semi- sweet chocolate chips
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees
  2. Cream butter, sugars and vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Gradually mix in dry ingredients.
  3. Add chips, mix well
  4. Drop by tablespoon onto wax lined cookie sheets, cook 9-11 mins until edges are light brown.
  5. While cookies are baking cut your marshmallows in half (or if using jumbos 3rds) crosswise.
  6. Remove partially baked cookies and immediately place marshmallows on top of hot cookies, cut side down.
  7. Return to the oven for 1-2 mins until marshmallows begin to puff up. Take cookies out of the oven and let cool 2 mins, then press down slightly to flatten marshmallows. *If you cut your marshmallows into 3rds and you have an open cut that is tacky to the touch, spray the back of a rubber spatula with Pam and use that to press the marshmallows down.
  8. Cool on cookie sheet, then move to a paper towel lined wire rack to cool completely.
  9. Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and shortening in a double boiler or microwave, stirring occasionally. Spoon a teaspoon of melted chocolate over the top of the cookie or drizzle with a squeeze bottle.
  10. Let chocolate candy set 30 mins.
  11. If there are any left over and you want to store them away, I would recommend you place wax paper between cookies because these are so gooey :)
I hope you enjoy the cookies. Fun spin on the classic s'mores and the unfailing chocolate chip cookie.

Maybe next time a smear of peanut butter somewhere?

2 comments: