Monday, November 28, 2011

Zucchini-Carrot-Potato Latkes

I have stated before that I am not a big frying person. I don't like the idea of spluttering hot oil just asking to burn me if I make a mistake. But there are certain food that I will take a risk for.

The Veggie Latke is one. I LOVE these little potato pancakes and thanks to my BHG's magazine inspiring me, added shredded carrots and zucchini and it made them even more amazing.


Try these next time you want a warm lunch and have friends over.

Zucchini-Carrot-Potato Latke           Serves 4

4 small russet potatoes, shredded
1/2 small onion, shredded
1 zucchini, peeled and shredded
2 carrots, peeled and shredded
1 scallion, sliced
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 c bread crumbs
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

1. Combine shredded vegetables (potato-carrots) in a thin, clean cotton dish towel or a double wrapped piece of cheesecloth. Squeeze out as much liquid as you can (this makes some muscle, recruit a show-off man that happens to me lurking around the kitchen).

2. Empty contents into a bowl, mix remaining ingredients. Take out a shallow frying pan and pour in 1/4 inch vegetable oil in the bottom. Heat until hot, 375F.

3. Using your hands, form golf ball sized balls of the vegetable mix and gently place into the oil. It's important not to overcrowd the pan or it will reduce the cooking oil's temperature resultingin: uneven browning, more oil absorption of the latkes due to longer cooking, and the latkes may stick together if touching. Don't cook more then 3 to 5 at a time. Flatten each one with the bottom of a slotted spatula. Cook 3 minutes on one side, turn once and cook an additional 2 minutes for the other side until golden brown.


4. Remove with a slotted spatula to a plate with paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining mixture.


5. Serve with sour cream and garnished with chives if desired (I highly desire it).

Calories calculated using Sparkrecipes Calculator: 219 calories for 3 lakes. Note: Calorie count does not include the oil absorbed when cooking or garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment