Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Soft Pretzels

Last night I was bored and was in one of those snacking moods. But because I'm trying to be good, I make snacking harder to do. I don't just grab anything, I make myself make my snack and perhaps in the process I won't think it's worth the effort and will give up.

Well I got in my mind I wanted one of those big, soft pretzels with a sprinkling of course salt (yum!), so I set out how to make them.

I looked at a few recipes and modified them to make my own, and let me tell you, these pretzels were worth the effort. Even if you're not familiar with how to make bread, these are relatively easy to make and they turned out delicious.

I would love to make these again with my nieces. It's like working with playdough and you can make any fun shape you want!



Soft Pretzels                          Makes 10-15

1 1/2 cup warm water
1 1/8 tsp. active yeast (1 1/2 pkg)
2 Tbs. brown sugar
1 1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup bread flour
3 cups regular flour
2 cups warm water
2 Tbs. baking soda

To taste coarse salt
2−4 Tbs. butter (melted)

1. Sprinkle yeast on lukewarm water in mixing bowl; stir to dissolve. Add
sugar, salt, and stir to dissolve; add flour and knead dough until smooth
and elastic. Let rise in a warm place at least 1/2 hour.

2. While dough is rising, prepare a baking soda water bath with 2 cups warm water and 2 Tbs. baking soda. Be certain to stir often.

3. After dough has risen, pinch off half a handful or more of dough and roll into a long rope (about 1/2 inch or less thick) and shape. There is a great tutorial here on how to get that classic twist shape. Dip pretzel into soda solution and place on greased baking sheet. Allow pretzel to rise again.


4. Bake at 450F for about 10 minutes or until golden. Brush with melted
butter and enjoy!


Toppings:
After you brush with butter try sprinkling with coarse salt. Or try melting a stick of butter in a shallow bowl (big enough to fit the entire pretzel) and in another bowl, make a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Dip the pretzel into the butter, coating both sides generously, then dip into the cinnamon mix. Let dry and enjoy.

I woke up this morning to find this. I guess someone else liked these too!

No comments:

Post a Comment