Sunday, September 5, 2010

Lime-Garlic Kabobs with Paprika Corn

Few nights ago I really wanted to make something different but easy. I had to use the chicken I had taken out the night before and some of the left over ingredients in my fridge since it's almost shopping day.


I still had some key limes left over from making a pie and cupcakes (I got a lot for only $2!). So, I decided what the hey, lets make lime kabobs (easy, different) with some garlic (to cut the tangy-ness and use the last bit that was in my fridge). 


These were a snap to make and served next to paprika-chili corn, they are delicious!

Make the Marinade

12 key limes juiced, 1/2 c lime juice
2 tbl vegetable oil (veg oil burns less then olive oil)
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp apple juice
2 tbl minced garlic

Take 2-3 chicken breasts and cut into 1" cubes the best you can. Place chicken into a seal-able plastic bag. Pour in marinade ingredients and seal. Wiggle bag around until combined and refrigerate for 30 min to 1 hour.

Prepare Kabob Sticks

While marinade is in the fridge, if you are using wooden skewers you have to soak them in water for at least 30 mins before use or they will burn. I used a cookie sheet and added just enough water to cover the sticks.

After an hour, Start with the corn.

4 ears of corn, shucked and washed
1/2 tsp paprika or smoked paprika
1/4 tsp chili flakes
1/2 c butter, room temp
aluminum foil 

Pre-heat oven to 350F. Place butter and spices in a bowl, mix well. Take one ear of corn at a time and place on a sheet of foil, scoop up 1/4 of the butter mix and coat all over the ear. Wrap in foil. Repeat with remaining corn. Place directly on oven rack, set timer for 15 mins. Meanwhile begin making kabobs.

Spray a cookie sheet/ jelly roll pan generously with Pam OR cover with foil,  set aside.

Use two kinds of veggies with your kabobs to add color and interest as well as maximize your vitamin intake. I used easy summer veggies with my kabobs: zucchini and yellow squash.

Cut up the veggies about 1", or into 1/4 wedges so they are about the same size as the chicken (this assures even cooking on all sides). Bring out the chicken. Drain the kabob sticks water and begin skewering, start with: chicken, veggie, chicken, alternate veggie, chicken, veggie. I usually top my kabobs with a cherry tomato to add a pop of color and I love roasted tomatoes!

Skewer until all the chicken and veggies have been used, this should make approximately 12 kabobs. I drizzled the remaining marinate over the kabobs. 

This entire process should take about 15 mins, wait for your corn timer to go off.

When it does, add the kabobs to the oven and turn the corn 180 degrees.

Set the timer for 7 mins. Rotate the kabobs 1/3 of the way, set the timer again 7 mins and rotate again.

Let kabobs and corn cook for another 5 minutes. (Max time for kabobs: 20-25 mins)

Remove corn and kabobs at the same time (I love meals that finish at the same time), plate and serve!


The kabobs have (to me) an intense tang to it, but then again I don't like sour foods. Nonetheless, they were very good and the corn...OMG. I will make this corn at least once a month now. You can't see the little flakes of paprika in this pic, but it looks so yummy on the corn and contrasts beautifully.

Mr. Beautiful's opinion: he ate all the kabobs! All 9 of them!

What I like about this meal the most; Clean up: throw foil away!

Beautiful!

1 comment:

  1. Hey you should do more dinner recipes like this! I'm far to lazy to bake but I do need to make dinner every now and then. Im gonna make these tomorrow I think. Do you really need apple juice?

    -Cassie

    ReplyDelete