Saturday, August 4, 2012

Homemade Tortillas (Roti)

Growing up in California, it is very hard to not appreciate the Spanish culture that has sprung up since the 1800's and the massive immigration of families, histories and foods that put in their deep roots.

Tortillas are my favorite staple. Something that I have to have in the kitchen at all times.

I love them as wraps, crunchy chips, crispy tostadas, sprinkled over soup, sopping up sauce from a curry...the uses are limitless.

Being the frugal girl that I am, I decided to finally attempt making these soft bad boys myself. It was a fun and scary evening.

After I had that childlike prideful moment of “look what I made!” I realized how easy these were to make and more flavorsome to boot!

I will definitely be investing in a tortilla press this year. Not that I mind my irregular tortillas, they still taste great.



Homemade Tortillas (Roti)                               Serves 4

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup warm water
1 tbl vegetable oil

1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Stir in water and oil. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10-12 times, adding flour or water if needed. Let rest for 10 minutes.

2. Divide dough into eight portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 7-in. circle.

3. In a large nonstick skillet lightly coated with cooking spray, cook tortillas over medium heat for 1 minute on each side or until light brown spots appear and they puff up slightly. Remove from the pan and keep warm. Repeat process with the remaining dough.

Calories calculated using Sparkrecipes Calculator: 258.4 calories per serving.

1 comment: