Friday, August 3, 2012

Chai Banana Fritters

If someone asked me earlier what a fritter was, I couldn't tell you. But after going to the fair and seeing people just raving about how yummy they were I decided to try my hand at it.

I had to look it up. Thanks Wikipedia! :A fritter is any kind of food coated in batter and deep-fried.

Ok...sounds like a doughnut...sounds like sweet and sour pork...sounds like fish and chips from a restaurant... I have been eating "fritters" for a long time and didn't even know it!

In my fritter experiment I had some ripening bananas on my shelf so I went with banana fritters. But that sounded too plain so I threw in my favorite spice combo: Chai. I also don't stay restrained to keeping the food whole, as traditional fritters are. I mashed these bananas up for a uniform flavor.

Result: These reminded me a lot of Chinese doughnuts, but better! Chai Banana Fritters melt in your mouth with a fresh taste from the bananas on a sinful backdrop that only fried food gives.



Chai Banana Fritters                                            Serves 4, 4 fritters each
                                                                                                   Time: 20 mins

4 medium ripe bananas (black on the outside and mushy inside is perfect)
1 c flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 chai tea bags, open bags and empty contents
1 tbl sugar
1 teaspoon of salt

Oil for frying
2 tbl sugar for rolling

Optional:
2 tbl coconut milk+1 tbl flour for added sweetness, roll in coconut shavings.
Caramel sauce, topping
1 tbl hot chili powder


1. Mix dry ingredients in a small cup or bowl.
2. Mash bananas into a pulp; I left mine a bit chunky. Mix four into bananas until you get a thick batter. 
3. Heat vegetable oil in a deep pan or wok (about 2 in) to medium heat. To make sure that your oil is hot, drop a quarter teaspoon from the batter in the oil, when it sizzles your oil is ready.
4. Using a tablespoon or a cookie scoop, scoop batter and drop 3-4 spoonfuls slowly into hot oil. Fry and turn until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
5. Repeat until batter is gone. You will make approximately 10-12 fritters depending on the size spoon you are using. Roll warm doughnuts in sugar or dust with confectioners sugar. 
 
Serve with your favorite ice-cream or enjoy alone.

Calories Calculated using Sparkrecipes Calculator: 245.1 calories per serving. This calculation is made with the assumption the reader will roll the fritters in sugar, it does not include calories of oil absorbed during frying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment